Hotel Lindrum Melbourne
MGallery by Sofitel
Boutique Hotels Melbourne: Hotel Lindrum Come Out On Top
Melbourne is a cultural hub within Australia. As the capital and most populated city of the state of Victoria, it offers both a great place for residents to live and for tourists to visit. Much of Australia’s art, music and food scene is held in Melbourne; it is also home to many green and public spaces. The decision to visit Melbourne is a great one but where will you stay? Narrow the search for the best boutique hotels Melbourne by choosing Hotel Lindrum.
Hotel Lindrum: A History
One of the most redeeming qualities of Hotel Lindrum, something that makes it stand out amongst the hundreds of other boutique hotels in Melbourne is it’s historic story. Standing tall for over a century, the building that is a monument of time has captured many interesting stories of the rise and growth of Melbourne. Lindrum has preserved the original structure and glory of a beautiful heritage building inside a sophisticated five-star hotel. Among other luxury boutique hotels Melbourne, Lindrum offers a unique experience.
Melbourne’s history in itself is worth mentioning. Like most Australian cities, Melbourne was founded by the British in the early 1800’s. Less than 20 years later, the Gold Rush took hold and eager miners flooded the colony, growing it from a size of about 80,000 to over 300,000. Establishment of the small colony as a full-blown city quickly took hold, with everything needed for mining, from food to houses to mining equipment, being shipped into the colony from Europe. This gold rush established Melbourne as one of Australia’s major financial centres and made Victoria an extremely wealthy state in Australia.
Melbourne continues to hold a title as a major financial city but has also made a name for itself for immigrants. The city of over 3 million residents is home to large Greek, Italian and Chinese populations, among other ethnic backgrounds. People from all over came to Melbourne because of the rumor of wealth and opportunity that were flourishing in the newly established city and were not disappointed. These cultures help to shape it into the culturally rich major city is it today.
Shortly after the gold rush established itself in Melbourne, well-known tea merchants The Griffiths Brothers commissioned the building that currently houses Hotel Lindrum. The store became a sales room for their tea, coffee and cocoa products. The building was designed to be reflective of the red brick Romaneque Revival style that was popular at the time; an upper story colonnade and a decorative façade with render bands make up the exterior aesthetic of the building.
In the 1940’s the Griffiths leased the building to Verona Press and it became a printing headquarters. At this time, this eastern block became the Herald newspaper headquarters. Come the mid-1960’s and the Herald empire expanded, acquiring the Griffiths building which was renamed the ‘Gravure House’. The building encompassed many subsidiaries and publications of the Herald.
In 1973, the building became a prominent billiard establishment. Leased by Dolly Lindrum and her family, Lindrum’s Billiard Centre was created in Dolly’s uncle, Walter Lindrum’s name. The late Walter Lindrum was a famous billiards player of the time.
In 1999, Hotel Lindrum officially opened its doors and has become one of the most famous Finlanders Street hotels..
Melbourne Boutique Hotels: Where Does Hotel Lindrum Stand?
When Hotel Lindrum opened its doors in 1999, it established a new precedent for luxury hotels. It was amongst the first boutique hotels to enter the accommodation Melbourne cbd (central business district) market. Amongst Boutique Melbourne Hotels, Hotel Lindrum stands out for how elegantly it has managed to incorporate heritage in its current operations while still being fully updated and luxurious.Today, Lindrum is the most visited among all other Melbourne CBD boutique hotels.
Hotel Lindrum’s billiard room is a great example of that. The room contains one of the original billiard tables from when the building was home to Lindrum’s Billiard Centre. The table was even restored to its former glory by the company that originally built the table, Alcock, Walter and Thompson. Memorabilia from when Walter Lindrum was a champion billiards player covers the walls of the billiard room.
A more subtle nod to that billiards heritage, one of the restaurants at Hotel Lindrum felt Restaurant, is named for the green material that covers traditional billiards tables.
Even the furniture’s feel is reminiscent of the billiards era; deep colored woods and leathers richly adorn the hotel’s lobby, bar, and billiards room.
There are also echoes of the building’s history as the headquarters of the Herald newspaper company; every guest gets a complimentary <i>printed</> newspaper each morning. When was the last time you read a newspaper that wasn’t delivered through a screen? At Hotel Lindrum, maintaining history is not only one factor of standing out amongst other hotels Melbourne cbd, it is right there next to impeccable customer service.
Similarly, much of the decoration, particularly in the bar area, is reminiscent or actual memorabilia from the Griffiths brothers tea companies that once occupied the Hotel Lindrum walls.
Searching for “the best boutique hotels Melbourne” provides you tons of accommodation options; the possibilities can be overwhelming and you may have no idea how to narrow the search. If you’re looking for a luxury hotel with a rich and well-preserved history, a great location in Melbourne and exceptional customer service, Hotel Lindrum should be your go-to boutique Melbourne spot.
Speaking Of Location…
Melbourne is divided into several neighborhoods each with their own unique feel and highlights. The most attractive area for visitors is the Melbourne CBD. Running roughly parallel to the Yarra river, Finlanders Street is the main street of the CBD area and has serviced Melbourne’s original river port. Melbourne’s central station, Federation Square, St. Paul’s Cathedral and many other landmarks run parallel to the most famous Melbourne street. Hotel Lindrum is the most attractive accommodation FInlanders Street Melbourne offers. Amongst other hotels on Finlanders St Melbourne, Hotel Lindrum differs greatly as an attractive heritage and exclusive accommodation.
Hotel Lindrum is conveniently located nearby some of the best tourist attractions and local favourites within the city and is also bordering on Melbourne’s central business district. The location makes it an ideal boutique hotel Melbourne for solo business trips, families and even a getaway for the city's natives.
Some of the most visited, common neighborhoods near Hotel Lindrum include:
- Federation Square: A cultural and entertainment gathering place, Federation Square (appropriately abbreviated to Fed Square by locals) is a genuine representation of the city itself. Fed Square is home to a variety of places to eat and drink as well as some of the most unique shopping in Melbourne. There is a wealth of information for visitors making it the perfect first stop for tourists. The BMW Amphitheatre, The Australian Racing Museum and the National Gallery of Victoria are also located in Fed Square, another great starting place for visitors. Fed Square is a great place to grab a drink outside, start your first day in Melbourne or see a live musical performance.
- Melbourne Central: You one-stop-spot for all of your shopping and errands, this area in the centre of the central business district is not far from Hotel Lindrum. Get your beauty appointments, clothing shopping and pharmacy errands done all in one place at Melbourne Central. The area also cuts through the middle of The Emporium (another shopping mall in the CBD) opening you up to even more shops.
- Collins Street: If you’re feeling like a splurge, Collins Street is home to the coveted designers.
- Queen Victoria Market: This market makes up a massive 7 hectactres within the Melbourne central business district and has been fully operational since before Hotel Lindrum was opened. The one hundred and thirty-year-old market is a large selection of fresh food, souvenirs and gifts; it is the ideal stop for tourists.
- Southbank: Once a neglected industrial neighborhood has been reinvented as “the heartbeat of the central city” of Melbourne. Hotel Lindrum is just a short walk fromm Southbank’s many trendy restaurants, bars and outdoor cafes. The neighborhood also boasts the Arts Centre and a Sunday morning market, held along the banks of the historic Yarra River in Southbank. At night the scene transforms to overflow with music and activity coming from it’s lively pubs, bars, and live music venues. Southbank has it all, no matter what time of day it is; just a short walk from Hotel Lindrum makes its location superb.
- Brunswick Street Fitzroy: A short distance from Hotel Lindrum, here you will find Melbourne’s bohemian décor and clothing hubs. If you want to stand out and / or find a great deal, this is the place to check out! There are enough quirky shops, galleries and restaurants to give you the something extra you’ve been searching for.
- Chapel Street: This shopping neighborhood is where traditional meets unique, high-end boutique shops. Regardless of what it is you’re searching for, you’ll find it and more on Chapel Street.
- Melbourne Casino: The Casino is one of the largest and most impressive venues in Melbourne. The main casino floor is more than half a kilometre long and offers over 40 restaurants, 30 bars, two live music venues and a shopping plaza with designer names and popular name brands. If you’re seeing a major concert in Melbourne you will likely attend it at either the Palladium or The Palms venues located in the Casino and conveniently a short distance from Hotel Lindrum.
Location is one of the most important aspects of choosing a hotel. Choosing accommodation that is close to the best dining and nightlife can save you time and money in transportation costs. Staying nearby great shopping also ensures that you always have a place to explore and last minute souvenir shopping isn’t a hassle. The best locations also give you a hint of the character of the city; locations overlooking a busy river or that are located in a historic district will help you feel like a true local, soaking in the culture.Therefore, booking a hotel FInlanders street located is your best choice.
Hotel Lindrum Melbourne Luxury Hotels hits all the marks, located nearby the best shopping, dining and nightlife in Melbourne. An added bonus is its proximity to the coveted Southwalk and its location inside the historic Melbourne cbd district and historic architecture. It doesn’t get better than Hotel Lindrum and with an affordable price as well!
Finding The Best Luxury Hotels Melbourne
In a metropolitan city, it can be understandably difficult to location the best luxury hotels Melbourne offers. Narrow down your search by looking for a Melbourne Hotel cbd that is also high-quality, luxury accommodation.
Melbourne luxury hotels are defined by the sophistication in their decor, quality of their fabrics and furniture and attention that highly trained staff gives each and every guest. Hotel Lindrum is no exception.
With a luxurious interior, famously friendly and vigilant staff and delicious on-site dining options, Hotel Lindrum is one of the finest Melbourne luxury hotels and the Melbourne hotel cbd that you want to book today.
In your Melbourne hotels cbd search, why waste your time looking for anything less than the best? You have found the one that outstands all luxury boutique hotels Melbourne.
Hotel Lindrum Will Beat All Other Boutique Hotels Melbourne CBD
Now you can see how comparable Hotel Lindrum is to all other Boutique hotels Melbourne cbd based on its location and rich history. But Hotel Lindrum has some other outstanding qualities as well; the dining and customer service at the Hotel are some of the best in Melbourne.
Dining at Hotel Lindrum is an experience in itself. The felt Restaurant, for example, is one of the best restaurants of any boutique hotel Melbourne offers. Located on the ground floor of the hotel, the restaurant has come to be known as the best seasonal, sophisticated dining option in the area. Appropriately named for the green ‘felt’ that adorns traditional billiards tables, including the hotel’s own table that once belonged to Walter Lindrum, the restaurants décor reflects its heritage with a mix of modern and historic charm.
The restaurant seats 40 guests comfortably, offering an intimate and attentive feel. Both breakfast and dinner are served at felt Restaurant, with lunch hours being reserved for private events and high tea.
Did someone say high tea? felt Restaurant’s high tea has been continually recognized as some of the best in Melbourne. Observed on Saturdays and Sundays, high tea service offers rich menu items such as egg chai ribbon sandwiches and clotted cream with freshly baked scones. Choose from 15 loose leaf blends and espresso throughout your service, which can also be booked on weekdays for parties of 20 or more.
For a more relaxed dining option, enjoy a light snack or an after-meal beverage in Hotel Lindrum’s Back Bar. Soak in the luxurious feel of the Hotel’s historic past as you sit amongst artifacts from it’s famous past and kick back on a soft leather sofa by the fire.
Customer service at Hotel Lindrum is, no comparison, the reason that guests come back again and again. At Hotel Lindrum, you are treated like family and like royalty. Our dedicated team of staff are ready to make your stay as comfortable and fun as possible. Whether you need an early check in, a late checkout or a car arranged, Hotel Lindrum staff can arrange it all. There are even reviews of the staff treating guests like friends, not customers:
“ ...What sets this hotel apart is the outstanding staff.”
“...Nothing is too much for the staff, and they will always be accommodating.”
“...The staff are just amazing people who are professional and helpful but kind and friendly with it.”
Hotel Lindrum, The Best Of Melbourne’s Boutique Hotels
Melbourne is a bustling cultural hub that has come a long way since the gold rush. From small European colony to major financial city, it is safe to say the city has made a name for itself and drawn tourists and residents for decades.
Deciding which are the best boutique hotels Melbourne depends on a variety of factors including customer service, dining options, location and price. Hotel Lindrum boutique accommodation Melbourne hits all those marks and delivers clean, updated, high-quality rooms directly to you. Carefully designed to preserve the original architectural features of the heritage building and incorporating sophisticated interior, Hotel Lindrum welcomes travelers who enjoy artistic atmosphere that does not compromise comfort and luxury. Among all the boutique hotels Melbourne, Hotel Lindrum offers everything a traveller seeks for in its journey!