St Kilda Beach: An Escape Not Far From The City
Visiting Melbourne and looking for an escape from the city? If you’re a visitor to Australia, or even if you are a long-term local, you probably want to enjoy some of the beautiful beaches and coastlines that Australia is famous for. While Sydney is known for famous spots like Bondi Beach and Manly Bay, Melbourne has St Kilda Beach. If you’re looking to get the most out of your time in Melbourne, you can’t miss a trip to St Kilda.
The Best Melbourne Beach: A Guide to St Kilda
Melbourne has so much to offer its residents and visitors. Be it music and arts or unique dining and adventure activities, Melbourne is the cultural hub of Australia. The major city even draws many tourists to become permanent residents. It seems only natural that such an influential Australian city has neighboring beaches to explore as well; the best Melbourne beach to explore is St Kilda.
Located just 6 kilometers from central Melbourne, it is easily accessible from many major spots within the city.
St Kilda Beach is located within a protected bay, offering calm waters and protection for beach goers from strong waves.
The most popular beach destination near Melbourne, St Kilda offers many activities and attractions; it is easy to take a day trip, even if you aren’t a fan of the beach. Aside from the sand and sea, enjoy the following in the St Kilda Beach area:
- St Kilda Sea Baths: An indoor, 25 meter heated saltwater pool with other leisure and athletic attractions including paddle-boarding and kite-boarding, restaurants and a full gymnasium.
- St Kilda Pier: An extensive breakwater sheltering the harbour and it is even home to a little penguin colony.
- A bicycle track and boardwalk: Enjoy the sun without getting your feet wet with a bike ride around St Kilda or stroll or rollerblade along the boardwalk to take in the elements.
- Numerous dining options and shops: St Kilda Beach is surrounded by a variety of dining options and plenty of shopping, whether you are in the market for something fun and nautical or more elegant.
- Luna Park: This amusement park, located just off of the beach, offers rides for all ages.
Water sports are also particularly popular in St Kilda Beach. Though its position protects guests from much of the strong waves coming from the main ocean, it does little to protect again strong westerly winds. Luckily, this lends to great conditions for water sports such as kitesurfing, sailing and windsurfing.
Others enjoy beach volleyball, paddle boarding, jet skiing, waterskiing and more; the opportunities for outdoor adventure are truly endless at St Kilda Beach. Spend an entire weekend or just a day; making it back to Melbourne is quick and easy after your day outside of the city!
Stay At Hotel Lindrum After Your Day Of Adventure
Hotel Lindrum is located under a 30-minute drive from St Kilda Beach or just over 30 minutes by public transportation. If you’re in the city for business or leisure and have been getting around on foot or by tram, don’t fret. You can still enjoy St Kilda without an expensive cab fair.
St Kilda Beach is the ultimate quick escape from the city.
Once back at the Hotel Lindrum, you can relax in comfort in your own room, enjoy a game of pool at the billiards room and bar, grab a nightcap or walk Flinders Street to keep the adventures going into the night.
No matter what your vacation or business trip agenda looks like, St Kilda Beach is an easy getaway out of the city to enjoy some much needed ocean, sunbathing or adventure sports. Or, just come to walk to pier, browse the shops and get fresh seafood. Hotel Lindrum will be waiting for you when you return to the city center.